<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Big Google Is Watching You 

I've always loved Google (though not to the degree of setting up a fan site), but having seen the new plans for a G-Mail service, I'm beginning to rethink my position. The new e-mail service is free, provided we allow the company to scan our private e-mail in order to target spam at us.

Now in some ways I wouldn't care, since I assume the spam would still be obvious and I would still delete it automatically. But given Google's current habits of tailoring the banner adverts it puts on some blogs to 'suit' the blog content - and the fact that they often seem to have nothing to do with one another - I can imagine all too well how disturbing the tailoring of adverts to my private e-mail could become. "This one's receiving death threats!" "Oh, just give her the cheap holiday spam - 'time to get away' and all that..."

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?