<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 09, 2004

Good Friday 

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
and are so far from my cry
and from the words of my distress?
O my God, I cry in the daytime, but you do not answer;
by night as well, but I find no rest.
Yet you are the Holy One,
enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
Our forefathers put their trust in you;
they trusted, and you delivered them. "


There's an interesting review here of the cases which have been brought against Good Friday as a state holiday in the US, a cause which I support (though we haven't got much chance of any such attempts succeeding here, until we disestablish the church).

I support it because I see no reason for one religion to be favoured over another in a state where religion itself is unimportant to a great number of people. We should be allowed to take a holiday on Good Friday as Christians - just as people of all religions should be allowed to take time off for their holy days, and atheists should have equivalents - but we shouldn't be forcing it upon anyone else.

Also, since the holiday is increasingly becoming a dead letter outside the private sector, it's fairly meaningless to continue with it elsewhere.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?