<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Judge by reason alone (then kick anyone in the head who disagrees) 

I'm pretty sure most people have done this before, but I haven't and there's always value for others in repeating it and seeing if they get a different result. It's the ethical philosophy selector - you answer questions, and it determines your ethical outlook. I am:

1. Jean-Paul Sartre (100%)
2. Kant (79%)
3. Stoics (78%)
4. Spinoza (74%)
5. John Stuart Mill (70%)
6. Ayn Rand (68%)
7. David Hume (64%)
8. Nietzsche (57%)
9. Prescriptivism (57%)
10. Aquinas (54%)
11. Jeremy Bentham (54%)
12. Thomas Hobbes (52%)
13. Epicureans (42%)
14. Aristotle (40%)
15. Plato (40%)
16. St. Augustine (38%)
17. Cynics (36%)
18. Ockham (31%)
19. Nel Noddings (18%)

This is a little odd, since the only person in the top 10 of whom I've read any substantial amount is John Stuart Mill. This may simply be because I tend to reject the views of those I've read and can easily spot them in a quiz like this. Going from the site's own description, I'm not that much like Sartre anyway, since I don't at all believe that when we choose something for ourselves we should choose it for all people, though I do think that "making conscious moral choices is more significant than consistently following moral guidelines", and that it's quite likely that "the conflict between the interests of two people is in the end, irresolvable".

Anyway, it's quite fun, and a bit of light relief.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?