<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 18, 2006

Beast watch 

One thing I've found particularly hard in adjusting to a new country is getting used to the presence of real wildlife. As a particularly nervous city kid, I've always been terrified of most animals and insects, so I've not been particularly happy sharing my space with thousands of squirrels, including black ones (native to Princeton); having rabid raccoons going through the bins at night; watching wild deer narrowly escape a bus-mown death; walking by what was reportedly a praying mantis on the pavement in front of me etc.

Okay, so there is some wildlife in England, but I've always felt pretty safe from it in Birmingham and central Oxford. Apparently, though I was wrong to feel that way. Little did I know when I lived there how narrowly I'd missed a close encounter of the wallaby kind...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?